**PB Tech Vouchers/Passes cannot be applied to this course.
Networks are one of the primary avenues used by malicious individuals to attack an organizationís computer resources. Potential hackers include both individuals outside an organization connected to the Internet and insiders who have access to an organizationsí internal network. At risk is an organizationís entire suite of information assets.
This hands-on instructor-led Network Security training class is designed to provide the students with the ability to use various security tools to safeguard their network infrastructure. It focuses on how attackers use a network to gain access to an organizationís computers and data as well as what tools are needed to stop a particular vector of attack.
By the end of the class students will be able to:
- Understand the vulnerabilities of a local or wide area network
- Identify how attackers would attack a networked computer
- Use encryption and VPNs to protect information transmitted over a network
- Understand how firewalls, network address translation devices, intrusion detection systems and proxy servers protect network resources
- Use software utilities to identify and mitigate network risks.
- Discuss how the implementation of wireless networks increases an organizationís security risks
- Identifying potential attackers and their motivations
TCP/IP Ė Security viewpoint
- What must a security expert know about TCP/IP in order to protect a network
Operating system vulnerabilities
- What components within an operating system must be protected if the computer is connected to a network
- What tools and methods are used to attack a network
- How firewalls (both network and personal) protect networked assets
- How encryption is used to protect data in transit and at rest
Virtual private networks
- Using VPNs to insure network access by only authorized users and to protect data transmitted over a public network
Network address translation
- Using NAT to protect the identities of users on a private intranet
- How proxy servers can be used to prevent unauthorized access to a private intranet and to preclude access by internal users to dangerous web sites
- Software used to identify security vulnerabilities
Intrusion detection systems
- Hardware and software used to identify questionable packets on a network
- Protecting an organizationís information assets in the presence of the unique security vulnerabilities presented by the use of wireless networks