Many report DBAs today come to work with solid Transact SQL skills, but limited (or missing) Visual Basic knowledge or experience. Without a foundational understanding of Visual Basic, the reports they create often lack the performance and functionality afforded by sophisticated report expressions-which must be written in (and just in) Visual Basic. This session is designed to bring report developers of all likes up to speed on the Visual Basic language. We discuss data types, looping, functions and subroutines, conditional expressions, Case expressions, conversion functions and much more.
Visual Basic for Report Developers
- Understanding the Visual Basic language
- Creating Functions,Subroutines & Conditional Loop Operations
- Declaring Typed Constants and Variables
- Managing Conditional Expressions
- Testing and Debugging Expressions
- Building an Expression Test-Harness Application
Live Q & A Session - Have your specific questions answered during and after each session.
- Requirements: Students should have taken the Reporting Services Introduction course to have a basic understanding of Reporting Services technology. Students are expected to know how to create reports using Report Builder or the Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) tool suites (any version).
- Setup: Each student receives a comprehensive set of instructions on how to download and install the necessary software including Visual Basic, SQL Server Advanced Services Edition and sample databases, code and examples. Also included are step-by-step laboratory manuals that contain additional instruction and exercises to challenge the student while the instructor is available to answer questions.